Verse of the Week: Luke 17:5-6 “And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith. And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you.”
Encouraging Thought: A grain of mustard seed is the smallest of all garden seeds, yet Jesus said that if we have faith even that small – true, operative faith – that we could command a sycamine tree to move and it would obey. We would consider that pretty profound faith, but Jesus describes it as “faith as a grain of mustard seed,” which is mighty tiny. If we could do something that spectacular with faith that small, imagine what we could do for God if we allowed Him to develop great faith within us.
“And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away. And when the disciples saw it, they marvelled, saying, How soon is the fig tree withered away! Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done. And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.“
Words of Wisdom: We all want that kind of faith; to have God’s power at our beck and call to perform great feats beyond our natural ability. But we don’t want to do what’s necessary to develop it; we don’t want to pay the price. God asks too much of us and we consider the price too high.
- To develop that kind of faith, first and foremost, you must be saved. Acts 16:31 says, “…Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved…” To be saved, you must have a tiny portion of faith. That’s the only way you can believe.
- To grow your faith to mustard seed size, you must be in God’s Word. Romans 10:17 says, “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
- You hear the Word of God in church, providing you’re in a church that preaches the whole counsel of God.
- You hear the Word of God’ by attending Bible study, providing you attend one that actually teaches the truth of Scripture.
- You hear the Word of God during your own personal Bible reading and devotions, providing you read and study Scripture, allowing the Holy Spirit to teach and guide you into all truth.
II Timothy 2:15 says, “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” God expects His children to know and understand His Word.
John 16:13 says, “Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.” As we study and learn God’s Word, His Spirit will teach us what we need to know.
- And once you know what to do, God expects you to do it. James 1:22 says, “But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.” It’s not good enough to know God’s Word; we must obey His Word.
James 4:17 says, “Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.” How can we expect God to honor our requests, when we’re living in sin?”
- Lastly, you must believe. Jesus said in Matthew 21:11, “And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.”